Sunday, October 12, 2008

Grandma's Journal 9/30/08

Tuesday 9/30/08
I stayed home today because 1) I don’t feel well and 2) I don’t want to look at the Chingola house and be disappointed again. Mike hates the almost 1 hr drive everyday and I don’t blame him, but he will have to get tough with these people to get the house done so he doesn’t have that drive. If we ever get to Chingola, he’s close enough he could actually walk to work (just 5 or 6 blocks), or he could drive, or I could take him and have the car that day. We’ll see. Mike checked the house, nothing done. Bare wires still sticking into the plug for the air conditioner, etc, etc. I sat by the pool for about an hour today (don’t tell Dr. Galaria). Worked on an art project, read, rested (still coughing like crazy, but feel better today) and played solitaire. This is what I like about staying in Kitwe. When in Chingola I have a house that’s broken, no furniture, and nothing to do. Suz and Den came home and picked up Duke. Their luggage was lost on the way home. Pray they may find it. Mike was in the furnace today. When the got ready to open it up, there were a lot of guys there watching to learn. None had safety glasses, gloves, long sleeves. Mike just can’t believe the lack of safety here. He asked for the burners to be turned off, which is about a 5 min duty. It took almost an hour while he sat up there and waited. (In case you didn’t know it, my husband doesn’t like to wait.) He asked them to bring back some gloves and a leather jacket for his protection. After all he is going into a furnace!! They came back with no leather jacket and some gloves that were really inadequate. He went in and had to grab a hot cable with these inadequate gloves. He told Bob that these things have to change. They don’t even give these guys respirators. Bob let him use one of his. Soooo I’m thinking to myself does this mean that Mike will be the only one doing all the dangerous and hot work???

No comments: